The 2017 Premier’s ANZAC Spirit School Prize Report
The competition provides the opportunity for young South Australians to examine and empathise with the remarkable sacrifices of Australian service men and women in the Great War of 1914-18.
The judging process for the 2017 Premier’s ANZAC Spirit School Prize has been completed. Thirteen students and two teachers have been selected to participate in the 2017 Premier’s ANZAC Spirit School Prize study tour to Vietnam during the October 2017 school holidays. The students will be accompanied on the tour by a representative of the SA Branch of the Returned & Services League (RSL) of Australia, a representative of the Department for Education and Child Development and appointed teachers.
In 2017 students submitted a research assignment in response to the following question:
“Using a range of sources research the experience of a South Australian service man or woman on the Western Front and/or in the Middle East during World War 1.”
In doing so they were required to conduct research that will enable you to:
- Describe the context of the battlefront the chosen service man or woman participated in during World War 1.
- Describe his/her background before departing for the war.
- Describe his/her life and service on the Western Front and/or in the Middle East.
- Determine to what extent his/her service reflects the ANZAC spirit?
- Use a range of primary and secondary sources which may include photos, maps, artefacts, diary entries, books and archival materials.
Entries were accepted in the following formats:
- A written piece (between 1000-1500 words, presented as a typed document and as an electronic copy on a USB)
- A multi-media presentation to a maximum of 6 minutes (submit on a DVD or USB)
The 2017 Premier’s ANZAC Spirit School Prize recipients
The thirteen student recipients of the 2017 Premier’s ANZAC Spirit School Prize are:
- Joshua Berman: Mark Oliphant College
- Lily Bright: Loxton High School
- Hannah Brown: St Peters Girls’ School
- Metala Burgess: Nuriootpa High School
- Alicia Crowhurst: Investigator College
- Lucy Fielke: Cornerstone College
- Jasmin Grist: Investigator College
- Joshua Loxton: Loxton High School
- Abbie Nourse: Nuriootpa high School
- Alyssa Siebert: Lock Area School
- Jessica Timms: Yorketown Area School
- Hannah Zerk: Lock Area School
- Laura Stephens: Cabra Dominican College
Details of the 2018 Premier’s ANZAC Spirit School Prize will be posted on this site on 11 November 2017.
For further information contact Malcolm McInerney
Premier’s ANZAC Spirit School Prize Application
Department for Education and Child Development
Learning Improvement Division
Mobile: 0437 249 200