“Digger the War Dog” Memorial Opening
Saturday 28 October, 2017
West Croydon and Kilkenny RSL
19 Rosetta St
The West Croydon and Kilkenny RSL was established in 1924 and has a long established commitment to the community and to Returned Service Men and Women.
Digger the war dog holds a special place in the hearts of South Australians. Digger lived in the Hindmarsh area after returning from war. Digger was a dark brown and white bulldog who accompanied his owner Sergeant James Harold Martin, during his 3.5 years with the AIF. Initially with 1 Division Signal Company in Gallipoli, then 2 Division Signal Company where he remained attached to the Engineers, during his service on the Western Front in France and Belgium, Digger went over the top on 16 occasions and had been through some of the worst battles in Gallipoli and the Western Front. He has been wounded and gassed at Pozieres in 1916, shot in the jaw, losing three teeth, was blinded in the right eye and deaf in the left ear. Digger remained loyal to his master and company to the end. A permanent memorial will be opened at the West Croydon and Kilkenny RSL to commemorate Diggers service and bravery and in honour of all animals who have served in wartime.